Emi Boscamp / TODAY
Bobby Flay whips up a relish that is wonderful with roast chicken or turkey.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely diced
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- Juice of 1 fresh orange
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark amber (grade B) pure maple syrup
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over high heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of water, the orange juice and the sugar and cook until the sugar is dissolved. Add half of the cranberries and cook over high heat until the berries pop and the mixture begins to thicken slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining cranberries and the blackberries and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the maple syrup, zest and season with salt and pepper. Let cool slightly and stir in the cilantro. Serve at room temperature.