This dressing is positively bursting with savory flavor. Herbs, shredded turkey, sautéed veggies and chicken broth add an incredible amount of taste and texture to this easy-to-make dish.
Technique tip: For a moister stuffing bake covered. For a drier stuffing bake uncovered.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 pint chicken gizzards
- 6 cups cubed cornbread
- 6 cups herb seasoned stuffing, preferably Pepperidge Farm
- Stewed turkey necks, meat picked and shredded
- One 14.5-ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 4 cups chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon sage, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9- by 13-inch pan and set aside.
2. Set a large sauté pan over medium heat and add butter to melt. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken gizzards and cook through, about 5-10 minutes. Remove the cooked gizzards to a plate and let cool. Once cool, chop the gizzards.
3. Combine the crumbled cornbread and herb stuffing in a bowl. Add meat from turkey necks and chicken gizzards and stir. Next add the onion and celery mixture, cream of chicken soup and chicken broth. Stir in the sage, poultry seasoning and salt, and season with pepper to taste. Add the beaten eggs, and mix well.
4. Place the mixture in the prepared casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes.