Eggs are the secret ingredient that makes my macaroni and cheese extra special. They help hold together all the melty cheese and noodles plus they make this comforting dish even more creamy and delicious.
- 3/4 cup salted butter, plus more for greasing pan
- 1½ pounds elbow macaroni
- Two 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 small block processed cheese product (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup), broken up into chunks
- 6 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni to al dente according to package directions. Drain macaroni and transfer the macaroni to a large bowl.
3. Cut the butter into small chunks and stir into the warm macaroni. Pour in evaporated milk, whole milk and eggs and stir well to combine. Mix in the processed cheese product, 5 cups of the sharp cheddar, 2 cups of the mild cheddar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheeses on top.
5. Bake for 1½ hours until golden and bubbly.