There are a few things I think everyone should know how to make really well: scrambled eggs, roast chicken and crabcakes. A good crabcake is all about the crab. I normally like to serve my crabcakes with a squeeze of lemon or with a bangin' chipotle rémoulade. This recipe is nothing to be intimidated by and it will seriously impress.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1¼ teaspoons Old Bay seasoning, divided
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1¼ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more as needed
- 8 brioche rolls or slider buns, lightly toasted
- 2 cups baby arugula
For the chipotle rémoulade:
In a food processor, blend the mayonnaise, shallot, garlic, adobo sauce, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the crabcakes:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, egg yolks, dill, and mustard. Add the crabmeat, 3/4 cup of the breadcrumbs, and the remaining 1 teaspoon Old Bay and stir to combine. Let stand in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Fill a shallow dish with the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Form the crab mixture into 1/4-cup patties. Coat both sides of the crabcakes in the breadcrumbs, then place on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Heat the oil and butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan, cook the crabcakes until golden brown on each side, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat to cook the remaining crabcakes, adding more oil and butter to the pan as needed between batches.
Spread rémoulade on buns, and place a crabcake on each bottom half. Top the crabcakes with arugula and serve immediately.