I love this recipe because it is simple and refreshing. Also the act of wrapping the fresh crab salad in tender lettuce leaves makes it interactive and a fun social moment.
Technique tip: Try to find jumbo lump crab. It has larger pieces and less shell. Break the large chunks up gently without mashing them. You are just looking for bits of shell.
Swap option: If fresh crabmeat is not available, sub frozen or pasteurized. Sub sour cream for crème fraîche.
- 1 pound fresh jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 head bibb lettuce, washed, leaves separated
1. Place the crab meat in a medium mixing bowl. Gently break apart the chunks of meat searching for bits of shell. Discard any pieces of shell you may find.
2. Add the crème fraîche, ketchup, olive oil, chives, shallots and cucumber. Add the citrus zests and lemon juice as well. Season it well with salt and pepper.
3. Serve the crab salad in a small bowl surrounded by the lettuce leaves. Guests should spoon a bit of salad into each leaf, wrap and eat.