I love this recipe because it comes together so quickly and is fresh and healthy. I always try to incorporate whole grains into my diet, and this is a very tasty way to do so.
Technique tip: I always dress the bowl and toss my salad into it rather than pour dressing directly on the ingredients; it helps to make sure the dressing evenly coats everything, and I'm never left with clumps of overdressed quinoa.
Swap option: If all you have is canned corn, give it a good rinse and drain it well before adding to the recipe in place of frozen corn.
- 1½ cups uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1½ cups plus 1/3 cup water, divided
- 4 cups frozen petite corn, thawed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 dashes hot sauce, preferably Tabasco
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Combine the quinoa, 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 teaspoon of salt in an ovenproof saucepan over low and cook, stirring constantly, just until the quinoa begins to pop like popcorn, about 8 minutes. Increase the heat, stir in 1½ cups of water, and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from heat; cover and bake until all the water is absorbed, and the quinoa is cooked, 20-25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, uncover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add the corn and cook without stirring until the corn is golden and crispy on one side, 8-10 minutes. Stir the corn and lentils into the quinoa.
4. Process the vinegar, mustard, pepper, honey, Tabasco, remaining 1/3 cup oil, 1/3 cup water and remaining 2 teaspoons of salt in a food processor until emulsified. Drizzle 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette onto the sides of a serving bowl; add the quinoa mixture and toss it into the sides of the bowl to coat. Add the feta, almonds, parsley and chives, and stir just until incorporated. Store any remaining vinaigrette in the fridge for up to a week.