Coffee and steak might seem like an unlikely partnership, but the flavor of beef is actually heightened by the robust notes of java.
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely ground coffee or espresso
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound flank or skirt steak
- Pico de gallo, homemade or store-bought
- 1 lime, quartered
1. Preheat a grill, grill pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
2. In a small bowl, combine the coffee grounds with the chili powder, plus a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the steak. Cook the beef for 3-4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness, until slightly firm but still yielding.
3. Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain of the meat. Serve with a big scoop of pico de gallo and a wedge of lime.