Make a comforting bowl of coconut curry with chicken and noodles at home for a delicious Thai-inspired meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced portobello mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms (about 1 large portabello or 4 large shiitakes)
- 1 cup snow peas (about 1/4 pound)
- 1 cup carrots (about 1 large or 2 small carrots)
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 5.5-ounce can regular (not light) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 pound (4 ounces) round udon noodles or thick spaghetti
- lime wedges for serving (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves for serving (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a medium (3-4 quart) stockpot over medium heat. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until the mushrooms start to brown.
Add the carrots, snow peas, and curry paste, and stir together. Add the chicken breast and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the chicken broth, coconut milk, and fish sauce or soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the noodles and cook for 5-7 minutes more, until the noodles are tender.
Divide between 4 bowls. Serve with lime wedges and cilantro leaves on the side for individual garnish.