- 1 med. cauliflower, cut into medium pieces
- 1 med. eggplant, cut in 1 1/2" cubes
- 2 lg. red bell peppers, cut in 1 1/2" cubes
- 2 lg. ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon lg. onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon lg. cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon level tsp turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 15 teaspoon fresh curry leaves (available at most indian grocers; they should be green, not brownish green)
- 1 can pure coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat for one minute and add curry leaves and mustard seeds.
Wait until they start to sizzle and let sizzle for approximately 30 seconds or until a few start to pop.
The curry leaves will cook and become shriveled.
Immediately add garlic and onions.
Sauté until onions are golden brown.
Add tomatoes and all powdered spices.
Continue to saute until the oil separates from the tomato “masala.”
Add coconut milk.
Bring to a light boil, add eggplant, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add remaining vegetables, cover pan and cook to taste, approximately 15 minutes.
Turn heat off, stir in cilantro.