These pancakes have a delicious blend of sweet and citrus flavors. They are fluffy and chocolaty with just the right amount of zest. Thanks to my special ingredient, mascarpone cheese, they just melt in your mouth.
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (plus 1 tablespoon) cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons tangerine zest
- 1 tangerine, peeled and separated into segments, for serving
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Powdered sugar, for serving
1. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
2. In two bowls, separate the egg yolks from egg whites.
3. Using a mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, using a mixer, mix together egg yolks, vegetable oil, butter, milk, vanilla, mascarpone and tangerine zest.
5. Pour the wet mixture into bowl of dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
6. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter until incorporated.
7. Heat large pan over medium heat. Melt a tablespoon of butter in the pan.
8. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter for each pancake into the pan.
9. Cook until you see bubbles forming on the surface of the pancakes. Flip and cook on other side for about a minute.
10. Serve with tangerine segments, butter, maple syrup and powdered sugar.