No more sad-desk lunches. With minimal prep you have a filling and delicious salad in a beautiful, appetizing, portable and eco-friendly jar. Plus, my creamy bacon-ranch dressing makes it extra delicious.
Technique tip: By strategically layering everything in the mason jar, the salad stays crisp and won't get soggy.
Swap option: Customize this salad by using any non-starchy vegetables you like. Feel free to swap in balsamic vinaigrette or Caesar dressing anything goes.
Bacon-Ranch Dressing (makes 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 scallion (green onion), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 strips turkey bacon, cooked and finely diced
- 1 mason jar (Large quart-sized wide-mouthed jar, with lid)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Bacon-Ranch Dressing (recipe above)
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup diced grilled chicken breast
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 2 tablespoons diced tomatoes
- 1 cup mixed greens or romaine lettuce, finely chopped
For the bacon-ranch dressing:
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well to combine.
For the salad:
1. Pour 2 tablespoons dressing in the bottom of the jar.
2. Add bacon, diced cucumber and crumbled blue cheese. Top with the egg and avocado. Add the grilled chicken then tomatoes.
3. Fill the rest of the jar with salad greens until the jar is packed to the top.
4. Screw on the lid and refrigerate until ready to serve (within 24 hours).
5. When ready to eat, shake the jar to disperse the dressing and pour onto a plate or large bowl, or eat straight from the jar!