About the recipe: Romaine lettuce is the salad green of choice on springtime tables on Ikaria and throughout Greece, too. At Easter time, people sometimes add quartered hard-boiled eggs to the salad. The result tastes like Greek spring: herbal, a little grassy, filled with sweet aromas and the crisp, faint bitterness of very fresh romaine lettuce.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, coarsely shredded
- 4 scallions, cut into thin rounds
- 1 bunch dill, chopped or snipped
- 5 tablespoons Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- Sea salt
Place the lettuce, scallions, and dill in a salad bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar (or lemon juice), and salt to taste. Pour into the salad, toss, and serve.