Cream and butter are the secrets to decadent mashed potatoes that are worthy of a holiday meal, but also easy enough to make on any weeknight.
- 4 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups cream
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
2. While the potatoes cook, heat the half-and-half and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
3. Drain the potatoes and put back in the large saucepan. Add half of the half-and-half and put on low heat.
4. Use a potato masher and begin to mash everything together. Add the rest of the half-and-half and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.