- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 (3/4 inch to 1 inch) slices bread (preferably brioche, challah, or Pullman)
- optional mix-ins: 2 teaspoons orange zest or lemon zest, or a pinch of cinnamon
- optional toppings: Maple syrup, confectioners' sugar and fruit
In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, salt and optional zest or cinnamon until completely blended. Pour egg mixture into a 9 x 13 pan. Place bread into the pan on top of the egg mixture. Let soak two minutes. Flip the bread and soak an additional 2 minutes.
Melt butter on a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Remove slices of bread from egg mixture and let any excess custard drip off, transfer to the griddle and cook on each side until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve with desired toppings. I like to top mine with raspberries and maple syrup.