Allspice joins cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in creating the flavorful profile of this classic dessert.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, roasted, peeled and mashed
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (9-inch) pastry shell, par-baked
- whipped cream, for serving
1. Preheat your oven to 425 F.
2. In a large bowl, using a standing or handheld mixer, beat the mashed sweet potatoes together with the brown sugar, condensed milk, butter, flour, spices, salt, eggs and vanilla until blended and smooth.
3. Pour filling into the pie shell. It will be full but should not spill over the sides. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 F and bake until the top is puffed and browned, 20 to 30 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours. Serve with whipped cream.