- 3 cup orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vanilla bean
- 3 sprig basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 sprig bottle dry white wine (such as pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc, or albarinio)
- 1/4 cup orange liquor such as cointreau, grand marnier, or triple sec
- 3 cup limes, 2 juiced and 1 sliced into thin wheels
- 1 cup orange, sliced into thin wheels
- 2 cup balled honeydew melon
Pour two cups of orange juice into ice cube trays.
(Optional: Add basil or mint leaves in the cubes.)2.
In a small saucepan combine sugar and water.
Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape seeds into saucepan along with bean pods.
Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
Simmer for another 2 minutes until syrup thickens.
Stir in basil and refrigerate until cool.3.
In a large pitcher combine wine, orange liquor, lime juice, remaining orange juice, vanilla-basil syrup, and fruit.
Allow sangria to chill for up to 6 hours.4.
Serve over orange juice ice cubes with a splash of soda and fresh basil.