- 12 spice cupcakes, chilled
- 6 Utz Honey Wheat Twists
- 12 circus peanuts
- 1 16 ounce can vanilla frosting
- Yellow and red food coloring, such as McCormick
1. For the stems, use a small serrated knife to saw 1 inch from each end of the wheat twists; discard the centers.
2. For the skin, place the circus peanuts on their side and cut in half lengthwise. Working on one slice at a time, roll out each piece to a 1 1/2 by 3-inch rectangle. (It will be very thin.) Keep the slices covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.
3. For the candy ribs, use scissors to cut each rolled rectangle in half lengthwise. Trim the pieces into long narrow leaf shapes with pointed ends. (It’s okay for each piece to be a little different.) Keep the slices covered to prevent drying out.
4. Tint the vanilla frosting orange with the yellow and red food coloring. Spread a mound of frosting on top of the cupcakes and smooth. Use a clean offset spatula and swipe the frosting in one direction four or five times, to create flat, parallel lines. (Make sure to wipe the spatula clean after each swipe.)
5. Loosely attach the ends of 4 of the candy ribs to align with the frosting swipes, taking care not to press them flat into the frosting. For the stem, insert the cut end of the wheat twists at the top edge of the cupcakes.