To me, there's no better way to start the day than with a cinnamon and sugar swirled breakfast cake. It's perfect for pairing with a cup of coffee in the morning, but it's also great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a sweet, after-dinner treat.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1¾ cups kamut flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray, line the bottom and sides with parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir to combine. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, coconut sugar and granulated sugar for about 2-3 minutes on medium-high. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again for another 2 minutes.
5. With the mixer on medium speed, add the vanilla and eggs, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl between each addition.
6. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and the Greek yogurt, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
7. Pour half of the batter into your loaf pan. Sprinkle 3/4 of the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture over the batter. Gently spread the remaining batter over the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture and sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar-cinnamon.
8. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out with a few moist crumbs on it.
9. Let cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before inverting to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.