Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables, but they don't seem to find their way to the grill often. It's time for that to change. This recipe kicks up traditional sweet potato flavor with a zesty citrus glaze. Quick-cooking and bursting with flavor, these are a great alternative to traditional fries that even picky eaters will fall for. It's also a healthy side dish that you can serve with confidence.
Technique tip: Remember to boil the sweet potato wedges before you grill them. Boiling helps the flesh absorb the glaze and creates the perfect texture to finish on the grill. Also, char some lime halves on the grill while you're grilling the potatoes and serve with alongside the potato wedges. The charred lime juice brings an added layer of flavor to the already delicious potatoes.
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, reserving 1 teaspoon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon savory seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 limes, cut in half (optional)
For the glaze:
Combine ingredients for glaze into mixing bowl and whisk together thoroughly.
For the potatoes:
1. In large saucepan, bring 6 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt to a hard boil. Add sweet potato wedges, return to hard boil and set timer for 5 minutes. Remove and pat dry.
2. Preheat grill pan over high heat for 5 minutes
3. Toss wedges with glaze until fully coated, and place on grill pan. Grill each side until a nice dark char and grill marks form, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Remove from grill, brush on another coat of glaze, garnish with reserved cilantro.