I love a more-than-meets-the-eye moment and the peekaboo of the bananas in these nutty muffins gets me every time.
Technique tip: If you don't have buttermilk, you can DIY your own by combining 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar, and letting it sit on the counter for 10 minutes. Use immediately!
Swap option: Any nut butter works well in this recipe.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, or any nut butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3 bananas
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in the oil and peanut butter until well-combined. In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Using a measuring cup, spoon in 1/2 cup of batter into each muffin liner. Batter will level up right under the lip of the liner (but shouldn't go over!).
5. Slice each banana into 6 pieces, then take each piece and push it into the center of each of muffin batter.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the muffin tops brown slightly and a toothpick comes out clean. With oven mitts, take the pan out of the oven. Let the muffins cool in the pan. These will last in an airtight container on your counter for 4 or 5 days.