This tasty cocktail was made for anyone who loves relaxing at a campfire. The smoked flavor of the fire-brewed tea pairs well with the refreshing fruit flavors of a traditional margarita.
Technique tip: To rim your glass, dip it in molasses and then into crushed, lemon drop candy. It's optional but elegant!
Swap option: No smoker? No problem. This recipe is still delicious with freshly brewed tea.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 black tea bags
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 1/4 cup gold tequila
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- One 12-ounce can frozen lemonade
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 handful lemon drop candy, crushed finely
1. Build a two-zone fire in a charcoal grill by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side empty. Preheat the grill to 350 degrees.
2. In a saucepan, combine 8 cups of water, 3/4 cup of the sugar and the molasses.
3. Put the pan on the grill over indirect heat and close the grill lid.
4. Cook until the temperature of the mixture reaches 170 degrees or higher, which will take 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the grill, put the tea bags into the hot sugar water and let them steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Discard the tea bags and set the tea aside.
7. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the lemon slices and orange slices. Toss together to coat.
8. Immediately put the fruit on the grill over direct heat so you can grill the fruit while the water is on the grill over indirect heat. Grill the fruit until the sugar caramelizes, about 2 minutes on each side.
9. Remove the fruit from the grill and set aside.
10. In a medium pitcher, combine the tequila, bourbon, frozen lemonade and lime juice.
11. Add the sweet tea mixture and the grilled fruit.
12. Reserve several of the grilled lemon slices to garnish the glasses.
13. Mix well the drink well and chill in the refrigerator or a cooler.
14. Serve over ice garnished with grilled lemon.
To decorate the rimPlace a handful of lemon drop candy into a resealable plastic bag and smash it to small bits with a hammer. Pour a single layer of the lemon drop bits on a small plate. Pour a thin layer of molasses onto another small plate.
Twist the rim of each glass into the molasses and then into the lemon drop candy. Let the glasses sit for a few minutes then decorate with grilled fruit.