When I first moved to California, there was a place in Venice that made the best breakfast burritos with spicy chorizo. Now that we live in New York, that sort of breakfast is harder to come by, so we try to replicate them at home. These are hearty and comforting — the perfect weekend breakfast or brunch.
Technique tip: Toasting the folded burrito in a pan gives you a nice crisp finish and also makes sure your cheese is fully melted. Also, a non-stick skillet will prevent a mess when cooking the eggs.
Swap option: If you're not a fan of chorizo, you can use your favorite breakfast sausage. You can also make this vegetarian by omitting the meat altogether.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Hot sauce
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble the chorizo into the pan and cook, breaking apart the meat with a wooden spoon, for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add hash browns to same pan, season with salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes or so, until the potatoes brown and crisp. Remove hash browns, set aside and wipe out the pan.
3. Crack eggs into a large bowl, whisk in milk and season with salt and pepper. Lower heat in pan to medium-low and add eggs. Scramble eggs, stirring every 30 seconds or so with a rubber spatula, for about 6-8 minutes until eggs are cooked (but still look slightly wet), adding the Monterey Jack cheese about halfway through. Set aside and wipe out the pan again.
4. To assemble burritos, layer cheddar cheese, chorizo, hash browns and eggs onto the center of the tortillas. Fold the top pieces of the tortilla over each other and then the sides.
5. Carefully place the folded burritos back into the skillet and cook for a couple of minutes a side, to crisp up the tortilla a bit. Serve with your favorite toppings.