This is my take on a Seattle classic: Nanaimo bars. These easy, chocolaty, no-bake bars are great sliced up and served as is or with whipped cream or ice cream on the side.
Technique tip: Make sure all the components are cool before you layer and chill in the refrigerator.
Swap option: Feel free to swap another nut in for the peanuts. You can also sub peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips if you prefer.
- 1½ cups graham crackers, crushed
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups chocolate pudding
- 1/2 cup peanuts, toasted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. In a medium bowl, combine the graham crackers and butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8- by 8-inch microwave safe dish. Set aside.
2. In the same bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice and condensed milk. Pour the filling on top of the crust.
3. Place the dish in the microwave and cook on medium to high heat for 10 minutes. If they're not completely done, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Cool.
4. When cooled, layer the pudding on top and sprinkle with peanuts and chocolate chips. Slice into bars or squares. Keep chilled.