- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/2 cups cold 2 percent milk
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 8 Girl Scout Caramel deLite/Samoa cookies, crumbled
Cocount cream filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup flakes coconut, toasted
- Additional toasted coconut and Girl Scout Caramel deLites/Samoas cookies
1. Place flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add cream cheese and butter; pulse until butter and cream cheese are the size of peas. While pulsing, add vinegar and just enough ice water to form moist crumbs.
2. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. On a lightly floured surface, roll one pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
4. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Cut remaining pastry in half. Roll each portion into an 8-inch circle. Transfer to un-greased baking sheets; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
6. For cookie filling, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix 2 minutes. Stir in crumbled Caramel deLites/Samoas cookies. Refrigerate, covered, 15 minutes or until set.
7. For coconut cream filling, in another bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold in coconut.
8. Spread 1/2 cup cookie filling and 1/2 cup coconut cream filling into prepared crust; top with one pastry circle. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cookie filling and coconut cream filling. Garnish with additional coconut and Caramel deLites/Samoas cookies. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: To toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.