I am a hummus fanatic! So it's no surprise that I love this dessert with its secret healthy ingredient of chickpeas! These blondies are so delicious, you'd have no idea that the base is made from chickpeas. This versatile legume gives the treat a gooey texture, and packs in some protein and fiber. This recipe is also vegan and gluten-free!
And here's an insider's tip: since this recipe requires no eggs or dairy products, you can simply eat the batter straight up as a sweet dessert hummus — and trust me, it tastes amazing!
Technique tip: Let cool for at least 25 minutes before slicing to ensure best results. These blondies will appear under-baked at first, but they will firm up after cooling.
Swap option: Feel free to swap out the almond butter for peanut or cashew butter, whichever you prefer. I absolutely love making this recipe with creamy peanut butter as well, it tastes like a peanut butter cookie!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon blanched almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, plus more
1. Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease an 8- by 8-inch pan with coconut oil.
2. Add rinsed chickpeas, almond butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a food processor and process until batter is completely smooth.
3. Unplug your processor and pour in chocolate chips, gently folding them into the batter.
4. Transfer batter to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Press additional chocolate chips on top of batter.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean and edges are golden brown. Be careful not to over bake as this will dry out the blondies. Cool for at least 25 minutes before slicing and serving.