Coffee is my secret ingredient for making chocolate cake super moist and flavorful. This recipe is easy to make — and the jolt of caffeine will help keep you up until midnight to ring in the New Year.
- 4⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⅓ cups cocoa powder
- 1¾ cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups boiling coffee
- Frosting, homemade or store-bought
- 1 pint raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
2. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, except the coffee, and whisk to combine. With the mixer running or while whisking slowly add the boiling coffee and then mix for 5 minutes on high speed.
3. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pans, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
4. Let the cakes cool completely in the pans. Once cool, remove from the pans and frost, layering one cake on top of the other. Garnish with raspberries, slice and serve.