This sandwich alone can turn a bacon-loving carnivore into a piglet-loving vegan. Tempeh is one of my favorite meat substitutes because it is high in protein and low in fat. The marinade gives it an irresistible sweet and smoky flavor!
Technique tip: To make the "bacon" super flavorful and savory, use up all that good marinade!I like to add a lot of the marinade straight into the pan when I'm cooking it because why throw out the flavor source?
Swap option: To make it gluten free, use gluten-free tamari in the "bacon" marinade and serve on gluten-free bread.
- 1/3 cup coconut or canola oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package tempeh, thinly sliced (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise or silken tofu
- 8 cloves roasted garlic (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Sliced whole grain bread, toasted
- Sliced avocado, green leaf lettuce or romaine, sliced tomato and sliced red onion
For the "bacon":
Mix oil, maple, tamari, spices, herbs and salt in a bowl. Add tempeh and toss until coated. Transfer to a sealed plastic bag or container and marinate for about 10 minutes (this step can be done ahead and left to marinate overnight).
Remove tempeh from marinade and pan-fry in a nonstick skillet until lightly browned. Add a little reserved marinade to the pan for flavor.
For the aioli:
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Layer bread, aioli, bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato and onion.