These spicy grits feature three kinds of peppers: smoky chipotles, smooth poblanos and crisp red bell peppers. It's a flavor trifecta!
- One 7-ounce can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups quick-cooking grits
- Olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup chopped jalapeño jack cheese
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Combine the chipotle peppers, tomatoes and chicken stock in blender and process until smooth. Strain the mixture into deep sauce pot. Heat over medium-high until boiling. Slowly whisk in the grits and lower heat once all grits are added.
2. In another saucepan, add a drizzle of olive oil and sauté the poblano, red bell pepper and garlic. Cook quickly for a minute or two then add to the cooked grits.
3. Stir the remaining ingredients into the grits and stir until well combines and the cheese has melted. Season to taste and serve hot.