This filling started as my standard stuffing recipe. Take away the sticky rice and pulse everything in the food processor for a versatile dumpling filling that can also be used for a chunky meat sauce.
Swap option: Garlic for garlic chives
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 4 links Chinese sausage (lap cheong), sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced garlic chives
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 (1-inch) knob ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- soy sauce, to taste
- dumpling wrappers
1. Heat neutral oil in suitably sized skillet over medium heat until slick and shiny.
2. Add Chinese sausage and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly crispy on edges.
3. Add garlic chives, shiitake and ginger and let cook another 3-5 minutes, or until chives and shiitake has reduced considerably in size and are very fragrant.
4. Let mixture cool, then transfer to food processor with cilantro and sesame oil.
5. Pulse to combine and season with soy sauce to taste.
6. To make the dumplings, use your preferred dumpling wrapper, and you can simply fold in half-moons and cook using desired method.