I love this recipe because it's super seasonal, fresh and packed full of flavor. The juicy chicken thighs are a great foil to the light and bright spring vegetables.
Technique tip: To get a great sear on the chicken thighs, cook them without moving them around too much.
Swap option: If ramps aren't in season, use scallions instead.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup sliced ramp bulbs and leaves
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped tarragon
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place a large sauté pan over high heat and add the olive oil. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and freshly cracked pepper then add it to the pan skin side down. Cook without moving until golden brown and crisp. Flip and finish cooking the chicken in the oven until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes or the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan and tent with foil then place the pan back on the heat. Add the mushrooms, ramps and peas. Season with salt and pepper then cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are slightly wilted and caramelized. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar.
4. Serve the chicken thighs with a scoop of the vegetables and a sprinkle of tarragon on top.