Serve spicy chicken schnitzel with an apple, pear and brussels sprouts slaw for an easy weeknight dinner that's affordable too
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1½ cups cups panko
- 4 4-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets (from 2 large breast halves)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 3/4 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Granny Smith Apples (1 large), cored and julienned
- 1/2 pound very firm Bartlett pear (1 large), cored and julienned
In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Spread the panko in another shallow bowl. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and then dip in the egg. Dredge the coated chicken in the panko, pressing to help it adhere.2.
In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned and white throughout, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to paper towels to drain.3.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the vinegar and celery seeds. Add the Brussels sprouts, apple and pear and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Serve with the chicken schnitzel.