I love to make these skewers for a party because they are fun, easy and packed with flavor. You can assemble them ahead of time, which makes for a perfect appetizer for any barbecue or backyard get-together,
Technique tip: A spray bottle really is the perfect way to glaze the skewers with the sauce. It goes on so evenly.
Swap options: Try other proteins like chicken breast, lamb and shrimp. You can also use the sauce on vegetables.
Special equipment: Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning on the grill.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 whole shallots
- 1 teaspoon ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sake
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 8 chicken wings, wing tips removed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 sea scallops, cut in half
- 4 ounces filet mignon, cut into cubes
- Green onions, chopped
For the yakitori sauce:
In medium sized, pan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, ginger and garlic and sauté until browned. Add the sake and let cook to burn off the alcohol. Stir in the soy sauce, mirin and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain and set aside.
For the chicken:
1. In medium bowl, combine the water and salt. Stir to dissolve the salt. Add the wings, cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
2. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Clean and oil the grill grates.
3. Place the first wing onto 2 bamboo skewers (one skewer through each end of the wing). Add a second wing onto the same skewers. Repeat procedure with all wings. Season the skewers with salt and pepper.
4. Grill the skewer for approximately 12 minutes (5-6 minutes on each side), until lightly charred. Brush or spray the wings with the sauce as they are grilling and make sure to turn them often.
For the scallops:
Thread the scallop halves onto 2 bamboo skewers (one skewer through each side of the scallop). Repeat procedure with all scallops. Season scallops with salt and pepper.
Grill the skewers for approximately 5 minutes (2-3 minutes on each side), until lightly charred. Brush or spray the scallops with the sauce as they are grilling and make sure to turn them often.
For the filet mignon:
Place 3 cubes on each bamboo skewer. Repeat procedure with all the cubes. Season the filet skewers with salt and pepper.
Grill the skewers for approximately 8 minutes (3-4 minutes on each side), until lightly charred. Brush or spray the meat with the sauce as the skewers are grilling and make sure to turn them often.
Garnish the skewers with chopped scallions and serve.