- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large English cucumber
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1½ cups flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 large avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeño juice
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed but not dried and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 cups quinoa (recipe above)
- 1⅓ cups Minted Cucumber Tomato Salad (recipe above)
- 1 cup raw asparagus, thinly sliced
- 1 cup edamame beans, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup raw snap peas, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 4 Yogurt Marinated Chicken Thighs, sliced (recipe above)
- 1 cup Zippy Green Sauce (recipe above)
These healthy bowls are so versatile. You can add tzatziki sauce, harissa paste, chickpeas, etc. You can really make them your own.
Technique tip: To see the color of an avocado before buying, remove the stem from the top, the color you see, will be the same inside.
Swap option: You can swap brown rice or another grain for the quinoa.
For the yogurt marinated chicken thighs:1.
Whisk together yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, coriander, oregano, chili powder and salt in a medium bowl. Place chicken in a re-sealable plastic bag. Pour marinade in bag, over chicken, and seal, removing as much air as possible. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.2.
Spray a grill pan with oil and heat on stove over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag, removing as much yogurt as possible. Grill chicken on each side for 3-4 minutes and cook until chicken registers 160-165°F (turn stove down to medium heat if it gets too hot). Let rest for at least 5 minutes.
For the quinoa:1.
Place quinoa in 4-quart pot. Rinse with cold water, stir for 30 seconds, pour into fine mesh colander and drain well (this helps to remove bitterness).2.
Place quinoa back in pot, cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.3.
Once it reaches a boil, decrease heat to a light simmer, but do not cover and do not stir. Cook until quinoa has absorbed all the water, about 10-15 minutes. Quinoa should double in volume.4.
Remove from heat, cover and let quinoa steam for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and spread quinoa, in a thin layer, evenly on a baking sheet to cool. Add salt to taste.
For the minted cucumber and tomato salad:1.
Combine lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small mason jar. Close lid and shake until thickened. Set aside in refrigerator (this can be made a day ahead).2.
Slice cucumber, in half, lengthwise, place cut side down, then slice each half again, lengthwise into three equal pieces. Dice into 1/4-inch pieces and place into large bowl. Add tomatoes, parsley, mint, scallions, salt and pepper into bowl with the cucumbers. Stir to combine (if making ahead do not add salt and pepper).3.
Add the dressing to cucumber and tomato mixture and stir to combine. Sit in refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
For the zippy green sauce:1.
Place a dry pan over medium-high heat, add jalapeños, garlic gloves and cumin seed. Toast until garlic is charred and cumin is fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add salt a toast for another 30 seconds.2.
After toasting, put jalapeños, garlic, cumin and salt in blender. Add avocado, pickled jalapeños, pickled jalapeño juice, lemon juice, chopped cilantro and scallions to blender. Mix until smooth.3.
Add a small amount of water if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Store in squeeze bottle.
Spoon quinoa four bowls in small rounds, arrange minted cucumber salad next to quinoa, add asparagus, edamame beans, snap peas and avocado to the bowls. Top with yogurt marinated chicken. Using a squeeze bottle, garnish with zippy green sauce.