I love this recipe because it's just so cozy! Chicken and potatoes are a classic and jazzing it up with harissa and yogurt adds spice, tang and richness.
Technique tip: Don't overcrowd your pan. Overcrowding your sheet pan will create steam and won't allow your chicken and potatoes to get crisp.
Swap option: You can make this meal vegetarian by swapping cauliflower in place of the chicken. Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets and roast with the potatoes for about 20 minutes at 450 F. Reduce oven temperature to 425 F and add the leeks.
- 1½ pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1¼ pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons harissa or another thick hot sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus more as needed
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1/2 lemon)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (not Greek)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- chopped fresh dill, for serving
- lemon juice, for serving
Combine chicken and potatoes in a large bowl. Toss with 2½ teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together harissa, cumin and 3 tablespoons oil. Pour over chicken and potatoes and toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.2.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine leeks, lemon zest, a pinch of salt and the remaining 1½ tablespoons oil.3.
Heat oven to 425 F. Arrange chicken and potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Roast 15 minutes. Toss potatoes lightly. Scatter leeks over pan. Roast until chicken and potatoes are cooked through and everything is golden and slightly crisped, 25-30 minutes.4.
While chicken cooks, place yogurt in a small bowl. Grate garlic over yogurt, and season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.5.
To serve, spoon yogurt over chicken and vegetables in the pan. Scatter arugula and dill over mixture. Drizzle with oil and lemon juice and serve.