The chorizo adds so much flavor and helps keep the chicken burgers moist when grilling.
Technique tip: Make indent in center of burger patty to help it keep its shape.
Swap option: Use Italian sausage meat or ground turkey instead.
- 1 pound fresh Mexican style chorizo, casings removed
- 1½ pounds ground chicken
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- 2 ripe medium avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 lime, juiced
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Red onions, sliced
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Pickled jalapeños
1. Preheat grill to 375°F.
2. Break up the chorizo meat into a large bowl. Add the ground chicken and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, and then gently mix using your hands or a spatula. Divide the meat into eight equal portions and form into 1/2-inch thick patties.
3. Brush the grill grates with a bit of vegetable oil and grill the burgers until cooked through completely.
4. While the burgers grill, mash the avocado with lime juice. Spread the mashed avocado on the toasted buns then top with burger patties. Garnish with red onions, tomatoes, and pickled jalapeños, as desired.