- 1 3-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup button mushrooms, washed and halved
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cups tomato sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
This one-pot meal is incredibly easy and delicious. It's perfect for when you need to make a healthy, hearty meal than can feed the whole family fast.
In a bowl, season the flour with salt and pepper to taste. Lightly dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour and shake off any excess.2.
Heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Sear the chicken on all sides until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.3.
In the same pan, heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the garlic and onions until light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.4.
Add the mushrooms and peppers, and sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft. Deglaze with the red wine.5.
Add the tomato sauce and chicken stock and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for about 30 minutes, or until cooked. Add the basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.