I love this recipe because it is so easy to prepare and can feed a large group of people. It also holds great warm on the stove for a long time, so it is the perfect dish for a day like Mardi Gras or a sporting event.
Technique tip: Using a heavy bottomed pot keeps rice from burning. Using par boiled rice keeps the rice from becoming mushy if you plan to hold the jambalaya warm over a long period of time.
Swap option: You can use any type of sausage instead of andouille. You can use shrimp instead of chicken. Swap scallions for parsley.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small (about 3 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, diced small (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups white parboiled rice
- 2 cups andouille sausage, large dice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, plus more as needed, preferably Tabasco
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
Place bacon in a heavy bottom pot over high heat to render, stirring occasionally. Place the cut chicken into pot and cook until edges begin to turn golden.2.
Add onions, celery and bell pepper to the pot, and cook until the vegetables begin to soften and turn golden-brown.3.
Add jalapeño, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, spices and salt, and sauté for an additional 3 minutes. Pour the chicken broth into the pot.4.
Add the rice, andouille and Tabasco and stir to combine. Lower heat to medium and bring to a simmer.5.
Once jambalaya comes to a simmer, set heat to low and cover. Cook for another 15 minutes.6.
After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let the pot rest on the stove, covered, for another 10 minutes.7.
When you are ready to plate, top each serving with green onions and more Tabasco, if desired.