The combination of brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce make this chicken sweet, sour, and savory all at once. A true flavor sensation!
Swap option: Substitute white vinegar if you can't find coconut vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 cups coconut vinegar
- 4 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 8 bay leaves
- 5 cups chicken stock
1. Place a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat and add the canola oil.
2. Add the chicken and sear on all sides until the skin gets brown.
3. Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 45 minutes until chicken is tender.