This fantastic frozen treat combines chewy, chocolaty brownies and creamy ice cream into an easy-to-eat dessert sandwich. They can be made ahead, which means they save time if you're entertaining, and they're easy to serve.
Technique tip: Line the pan with foil and let it hang over the sides before adding the brownie mix. Once the brownies are cooked. Pull the foil to lift the brownies out of the pan. This makes cutting them a breeze.
Swap option: Use good quality brownie mix if you are pressed for time.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup butter
- One 4-ounce bittersweet dark chocolate baking bar (60% cacao), chopped
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Ice cream, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 10- by 15-inch jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2-3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil with cooking spray.
2. Microwave butter and chocolate in a large, microwave-safe bowl on high for 1½-2 minutes or just until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Whisk in sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition. Whisk in the flour and next 3 ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
3. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely on a wire rack. Lift brownies from pan, using foil as handles. Remove foil; cut into 24 squares.
4. Place a scoop of ice cream in a brownie and top with a second brownie. Repeat with remaining brownies and ice cream. Freeze assembled sandwiches until they're ready to serve.