This is one of my go-to brunch recipes because it's inexpensive and so easy to throw together with minimal ingredients of leftovers. The result is a hearty and luxurious breakfast dish that also happens to work well for dinner.
Technique tip: Don't overbake the casserole; it should be just set but not rubbery.
Swap option: Use any type of diced vegetables instead of chile peppers.
- Olive oil, for greasing
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- Three 4-ounce cans diced green chiles
- 3 cooked chicken thighs, chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Using olive oil, grease the bottom and sides of a casserole dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese onto the bottom of the casserole dish. Next, layer the green chiles on top of the cheese followed by the chicken thighs.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, salt and ground black pepper. Evenly pour over the rest of the casserole ingredients. Sprinkle the second half of cheese over top and bake for 35-40 minutes, until eggs are set in the middle and cheese has browned.
4. Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.