These perfect golden bites bring together the juicy, cheesy goodness of a burger and crisp, savory onion rings.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large white onion
- 1 cup flour
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Oil, for frying
- Ketchup, for dipping
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
3. Peel and slice the onion into 1-centimeter thick rings, and separate the rings from each other.
4. Take a spoonful of the beef mixture and press it into the bottom of a ring.
5. Push a square of cheddar into the center of the beef. Seal the top with another spoonful of the beef, pressing it flat.
6. Repeat with the rest of the rings.
7. Place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs into three separate bowls.
8. Dip a ring into the flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then the bread crumbs, then back to the eggs, and one last time into the breadcrumbs.
9. Repeat with the remaining rings.
10. Fry the rings for 5-6 minutes, until deep golden-brown.
11. Drain on a paper towel, then serve with ketchup.