These fluffy biscuits are spiked with shreds of cheesy cheddar cheese and flecked with fresh chives, making them irresistibly delicious.
Technique tip: Freeze portioned biscuits and bake them right from the freezer whenever you need them.
- 4¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 bunch chives, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cheddar and chives and mix well to combine.
3. Add cold cubed butter and mix until pea-sized lumps begin to form. Be careful not to over mix.
4. Add 2 of the eggs and buttermilk and mix just until there is almost no dry flour remaining. There should still be visible chunks of butter in your dough. Again, be careful not to over mix.
5. Use an ice cream scoop to portion biscuits and place on the prepared baking sheet.
6. In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg with a few teaspoons of water. Brush the egg mixture onto the biscuits. Place in the oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.