I love this recipe because these crab cakes are all crab, no cake. The herbed shrimp and tomato sauce amps up the seafood flavor and adds extra freshness to the dish.
Technique tip: Use the largest lump crab available, so you'll have less shell to pick through.
Swap option: Substitute panko bread crumbs for fresh bread crumbs.
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Butter or olive oil, to cook
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 shrimp, peeled and de-veined, cut into thin strips
- 10 red pear tomatoes
- 10 yellow pear tomatoes
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
For the crab cakes:
Mix together the mayo, salt, pepper, egg white, zest, juice, chives and thyme. Fold in the crab meat.
Form mixture into patties, dust with breadcrumbs and sear in butter or oil until crisp and golden on both sides.
For the sauce:
1. Heat shallots in oil, then add shrimp and cook.
2. Add remaining ingredients and heat through.
3. Serve warm over crab cakes.
TODAY is the broadcast sponsor for this weekend's Charleston Wine and Food Festival and Charleston Wine and Food is providing TODAY's production costs.