I love this recipe because it takes delicious leftover chana masala and turns it into a completely different dish. The peppery arugula, roasted vegetables and zesty lime make this a hearty yet light and bright salad.
Technique tip: Check the roasted vegetables and garbanzos after 30 minutes to see if they are cooked or need more time.
Swap option: You can use any vegetables of your choice.
- 2 cups chana masala (recipe linked above)
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small fennel, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small beet, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 ounce feta, crumbled (1/4 cup)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. In a medium roasting pan, toss the chana masala, butternut squash, carrot, parsnip, fennel and beet with the olive oil. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and roast for about 45 minutes, stirring once or twice, until tender and lightly browned in spots. Cool.
3. Toss the cooled garbanzo and vegetable mixture with arugula with a dash of salt and pepper and lime. Sprinkle the cilantro and feta cheese on top.