- 2 boneless center-cut pork chops
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces baby beets
- 1/2 bunch carrots (preferably multicolored heirloom carrots)
- 1 ounce arugula
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
TIPS: Start marinating the shallots in the vinegar the night before; you can also chop the nuts and prep the garlic, herbs and vegetables.
- Wash and dry the fresh produce. Heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling on high. Remove the pork from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature. Peel and smash the garlic cloves. Peel and slice the beets into ½-inch rounds on a paper towel-lined cutting board. Cut the carrots in half lengthwise. Pick the mint and thyme leaves off the stems; discard the stems. Roughly chop the hazelnuts. Peel and mince the shallot; place in a medium bowl with the vinegar.
- Add the beets to the pot of boiling water. Cook 16 to 18 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain thoroughly and immediately transfer to the shallot-vinegar mixture. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- While the beets cook, in a large pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes, or until slightly browned and tender. Add ⅓ of the butter and ½ cup of water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes, or until the water has evaporated and the carrots are thoroughly coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a bowl; set aside. Wipe out the pan.
- Pat the pork dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper on both sides. In the same pan used to cook the carrots, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the seasoned pork; cook 4 to 6 minutes on the first side. Flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the thyme, smashed garlic and remaining butter. Cook, occasionally tipping the pan and spooning the butter over the pork, 1 to 2 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate, leaving any drippings (fond) in the pan. Let the pork rest for at least 5 minutes. Remove and discard the garlic.
- While the pork rests, add the carrots, hazelnuts and marinated beets to the pan of reserved fond. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly combined and warmed through; season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat; add the mint (thinly slicing just before adding) and arugula. Slice the pork into ½-inch pieces. Divide the salad, sliced pork and any juices from the pan between 2 dishes.
Source: Blue Apron