- cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup onions
- 1 cup celery
- 2 tablespoon garlic
- 1 pound dried lentils
- 1 pound Prosciutto di Parma
- 3 cup water
- 2 cup canned italian tomatoes
- 2 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound dried cavatelli pasta
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup salt and black pepper
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
Add carrots, onions, celery and garlic, and cook, covered until the vegetables soften.
Add lentils, prosciutto, water, tomatoes, parsley, rosemary and red pepper flakes.
Simmer for 1 hour, covered, until the lentils are tender.
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente.
Drain, add to lentil ragu, and toss gently.
Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.