This fully loaded sandwich hits all the right notes: It’s salty, tangy and a little bit spicy, plus the avocado gives it a fantastic creaminess that pulls all the flavors together. Don’t skip dressing the arugula in olive oil. It's good for you! Plus, it makes a big difference in taste.
- 2 slices soft whole wheat bread
- Dijon mustard
- Light mayonnaise
- 1/3 avocado
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup arugula
- Olive oil
- 3-4 slices salami (or whatever deli meat you prefer)
- 1 slice extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices tomato
1. Spread mustard and mayonnaise on one slice of bread. I like to mix them together first into a Dijonnaise spread so the flavor is even.
2. Toss the arugula with a little olive oil in a separate bowl.
3. In another small bowl, gently mash the avocado. Spread the mashed avocado on the other slice of bread and add a pinch of salt to it.
4. To assemble the sandwich, top the bread with sliced salami, cheddar cheese and tomato. Gently add the salad greens on top. To close it up, top the sandwich with the other slice of bread and lightly press it down with your hand to keep everything together. Serve sliced in half.