TIP: Garnish the iced cupcakes with edible 24-karat gold leaf for a ritzy-glitzy topping-a reasonable, yet completely optional, splurge! It can be found online or at baking supply stores.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the oil, yogurt, and raw sugar on medium speed. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing constantly. Mix in the vanilla extract. Reduce the speed, and add the dry ingredients in 3 portions, mixing until incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the carrots and raisins.
- Fill each muffin cup about three-fourths full with the batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove to a rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, place the confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, butter, and vanilla extract. Pour into the sugar, mixing constantly with a fork or spoon, until the icing is smooth, thick, and glossy. Dip the top of each cupcake into the icing and swirl to cover in a thick, even layer.