This soup is refreshing and delicious! Chilled soups are chic and perfect for starting a heavy holiday meal. This soup can stand in for a salad or be a part of your Rosh Hashanah dinner.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced into bite-size pieces
- 6 cups carrot juice, homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 roasted beets, peeled and small diced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat a small saucepan, lightly coated with olive oil, over low heat. Cook the leeks and carrots until very soft and very fragrant, about 20 minutes. Add the carrot juice, lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Chill the soup in the refrigerator. Before serving, place a few pieces of roasted beets into glasses or attractive bowls and spoon the chilled soup over the beets.