This recipe brings a fun Caribbean twist to a tailgating party. The hot dogs are simple and fun, and the Creole potato salad is super tasty. This is football food, NOLA-style!
Technique tip: You can mix the salsa ahead of time.
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe mango, small diced
- 1/2 cup banana ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, plus more for serving
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup ranch powder
- 8 beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, sliced lengthwise
- 5 cups peeled potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 3 cups water, or to cover
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup diced bacon
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 6 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- paprika or cayenne, to garnish (optional)
For the Caribbean-Style Hot Dogs:1.
Mix onion, cilantro, mango, banana ketchup, mustard and lime zest and juice in bowl. Cover and chill.2.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and ranch powder, and mix until well combined. Set aside.3.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.4.
Grill hot dogs and buns until heated through and grill marks form, 2-3 minutes per side for hot dogs and about 1 minute per side for buns.5.
Transfer buns to plate. Place 1 hot dog in each bun, brush each bun with ranch mayonnaise. Add more mustard to taste, top with the mango salsa and serve.
For the Creole Potato Salad:1.
Put the potatoes, water, eggs and 1 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan.2.
Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and chill in the refrigerator.3.
Cool the eggs by running under cool tap water. Peel and dice the eggs.4.
In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and cool.5.
Combine the remaining ingredients (including the remaining salt) in a bowl and stir to combine. Fold in the chilled potatoes and diced eggs. Garnish with paprika or cayenne pepper, if desired. Serve chilled.